Monday, April 4, 2011

Looking Back at the Hustle - Denise's Version of Events

So, as the year keeps filling up with craziness (why won't one of us listen to Nancy Regan and JUST SAY NO???) - I thought it would be good to take a look back at the Hustle Up the Hancock and give you my version of what went down that day.  I hope Elise pop's on here too and gives me her version of events because I think comparing the two would be hilarious.

First thing to note, since Elise and I did not register for the Hustle as a team, we were placed in different waves.  Elise took the stairs at 11:15 - a full two hours before I did.  Which, for me was kind of cool because she would be done before I started - and I could get the run down of what to expect from someone I trusted.  What was not cool is that I had two hours to completely get in my own head and say WTF am I thinking???



The other important thing to note, is that although I did bring my cheering section with me, the attention span of a 4 year old and 7 year old are not all there... especially when said 4 year old sees an American Girl store right next door to the event.  After it was apparant that the American Girl store was more important than seeing me off into the stairway to heaven... I sent my mom and the kids off to the store where Jillian would be much, much happier.  (note the tears.. And yes, those are necklaces in her hair.. you don't argue with personal style!)



The kids did give me their best pre-climb pep talks:

Andrew:  Mom, are you going to win?  Me, "Um, no.  Finishing is Winning:.  Andrew:  Are you at least going to TRY to win.  Me, "Um, probably not.. I just want to finish".  Andrew:  If you aren't even going to try to win, why are you wasting my time.

Jillian:  Mommy, I don't get what you are so stressed about.  All you have to do is climb some stairs.  It's just like walking. Put one foot in front of the other.. You know how to do that.  Maybe you won't even hurt yourself this time.


So, after the loving pep talks, I was left with my iPhone and some people watching...  and a lot of nerves building up in my stomach.  I saw climbers of all shapes and sizes - and all ages.  I tried to tell myself, if that kid over there, who can't be more than 10 can do this, so can I.  And look at this cute older lady... if she's gonna climb, I got this... 

Then I got the text from Elise "FINISHED".    I was so excited for her. After my congratulatory text telling her I was so proud of her I texted back "Next year we need to register as a team so we can at least start together".  I think I'm glad she was 94 flights up or she may have hurt me :).  She nicely responded, let's talk about next year when you get up here.



I asked how it was, how she was feeling?  She said it was tough.  "At floor 7 I was wiped out, thinking the stairmaster lied".  Me to her:  Floor 70??  Her to me: No, floor 7!

That text saved my climb.  Because when I was swearing at the damn lying stairmaster and realized I was only on floor 7.. I realized she was tired there and STILL FINISHED!  I remembered her text IT IS NOT A RACE.  Stop and breathe when you need to.  So that's what I did.

Sometime after floor 44 I realized I was going to finish it.  I was not at all happy with my time, so we WILL be doing it again next year... but walking thru the door on the 94th floor of the hancock observatory was probably one of my proudest (proudest, not prettiest!) moments. 

 And, just like Elise said, my legs were fine.. my butt was fine. It was just my lungs that were ready to explode.   When I got to the top, there was going to be no NEXT TIME.  By the time I got home Elise and I were talking about training for  next year.  Next year I train by running sprints.. not by climbing the stairmaster.. because my friends, the stairmaster LIES.

No comments:

Post a Comment