Thursday, April 21, 2011

Don't Think... Just Do

Elise posted on my FB wall the other day…  something along the lines of “Hey – I need to keep on track with my running, any suggestions?”.  After laughing – because I am SO off track it’s not even funny – I told her that I had just downloaded a book for my Kindle – Called Run Like a Mother – and that I’d give her the cliff notes version.  (Yes, Reading instead of running.. that’s where I’m at right now.).
I started the book that night – well after the time when running would be appropriate – and started laughing.  The authors could be our friends.  These women have run several marathons and  yet, one of them wrote about her mental struggle with the snooze bar every morning – You Mean it’s not Just Me?!?
I am far from finishing the book, but one of the authors says “Don’t Think – Just Do” – That’s what she tells herself in the morning when she’d rather stay in bed than lace up and hit the pavement.  And for her, it worked.   
And, I thought about it.. (ironic, I know) – but really, Elise and I have signed up for some crazy stuff this year.  I don’t think she THOUGHT about climbing 94 flights of stairs with me…  or jumping over fires and running thru mud…  And I didn’t really THINK about committing to a triathlon, or rappelling down 24 stories.  (Trust me on that last one… I seriously went and registered before my brain kicked into gear or there would be no Skyline Plunge!).  I figure, if I can do all that without THINKING – I can get my butt out of bed and run….
So this morning, I set my alarm…  Went to hit snooze – and then remembered “don’t think – just do”.  Don’t think about how great another 9 minutes of sleep would be – or about how crappy you felt all day yesterday - - don’t think just do.
And that’s just what I did.  I rolled out of bed, into my running clothes and out the door.  Not a power run by any means – just W2D1 of C25K.. But you know, I did it.  I feel great -  and I think I have found one piece of advice for Elise to keep on track…

(Oh, and I ordered the book for Elise... because I know there will be times when I need her to keep me on track... and I think this book will not only give her ideas for how to insprire herself, but also help her to keep me motivated when I need it most!)

No comments:

Post a Comment