Thursday, April 7, 2011

I was minding my own business...

...and the business of a bunch of other people on Facebook when I got a friend request from Denise. I thought, "Denise, how fun! I have not talked to her in a really, really long time." Figuring out exactly how long requires double digit math. I accepted her request and immediately stalked her on FB. I saw that she was friends with more people I had not talked to since High School. Apparently, I am not very social. Then the confusion and guilt began. I did not remember going to High School with Denise, but didn't understand how she could be friends with people I went to High School with?

  • Did she transfer?

  • I am pretty sure she was smart so she should have been in at least one of my classes. How is it possible that I have no memories of seeing her in the hall or lunch room?

  • Did I ignore her because I thought I was too cool?

  • How could I do that to someone I had known since I was in preschool?
I was a horrible person and needed to make it up to her somehow. Little did I know she would present me with an opportunity to make it up to her so soon!

At the time Denise and I reconnected on FB I was training for a 5K using the Couch 2 5K plan (which I highly recommend), and I would update my status with cryptic things like W4D1 because I am cool like that. One day Denise sent me a FB message that said something like this...
"With you new found love or hate of running would you be interested in doing the Hustle up the Hancock with me? They say if you can run a 5K you can do the Hustle."

I thought, "Perfect here is my chance to make up for ignoring her in High School. I will climb up 94 floors with Denise and all will be forgiven."

Denise sent me all of the registration information and stressed that we had to sign up right away because it fills up so quickly. The day of the registration I went to the website a couple minutes before it opened and started hitting refresh. With adreline pumping and sweaty palms I was able to register. Then Denise sent me a message saying she couldn't get into the website and was having trouble. Frantically, I went back to the website because I was going to register her myself if I had to. In the back of my mind I thought, "This was her plan for getting back at me for ignorning her in High School." Fortunately, she was able to get into the website and register without me inflicting bodily harm on her.

I have to confess I lied about agreeing to do the Hustle to make up for ignoring Denise in High School. I really wanted to do it, but what sane person thinks that climbing 1632 stairs could be fun? I really was confused about going to High School with her, so when we met up for dinner I asked when she went to my High School, and she told me she never did. Then I asked how she knows all the people I went to High School with, and she told me she lived by them when she was growing up.

So you see not only am I insane, I am a little ditzy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment