Friday, April 22, 2011

Glad I Have Medical Coverage...

I think I’ve finally stopped laughing after Elise’s last post (only b/c I can totally relate… I still have the tags-still-on Spanx bathing suit in a drawer as proof).  Never order a FINAL SALE bathing suit online.  Lesson Learned.
I think I’m good with gear for the excursions for the remainder of the year.  Although, I need to get working on the Warrior Dash get ups!   I have a suit I bought last year when I was training for a relay team doing a sprint tri.. But the biker blew her knee out 3 days before the event – which was ok w/ me b/c I developed a nasty case of tendonitis in my shoulder…  I would have swam thru it.. But looking back, it was probably ok.
I will say, Elise is motivated.  My son swam for 2 years competitively and never quite mastered a flip turn (well, he had ‘em down in practice, but never in a meet).  I trained for last year’s event and couldn’t do it to save my life.  There are no flip turns in my future.. which I know will add to my time, but my flip turn is something like a distorted somersault with no contact at all to the wall, and when I resurface I’m going in a direction that I’m not supposed to be.  Coordinated – I tell ya.

That coordination issue is going to be interesting during these crazy times too.  I am the girl who was voted Biggest Klutz in my graduating class.   I sprained my ankle walking into the circus with my kids one afternoon.  My ankle has been fractured, chipped, sprained, strained more times than I can remember.. and never from something that makes for a good story.  Maybe that’s why I so willingly signed up for this stuff.  “I was doing an obstacle course and broke my ankle in the tire run” sounds SO much cooler than, I was walking down the street…
I’m also pretty hard headed and have been known to push through an injury.  Like walking part of day 2 and all of day 3 on a foot with a stress fracture, b/c I’ll be DAMNED if I flew to San Francisco to NOT walk across the golden gate bridge or finish what I started…



The good news is, I have crutches, an air cast, and a few ace bandages and ice packs handy….  But, there’s probably money to be had if any of you want to start a pool on how many times Denise will injure herself during this Excellent Adventure…..

No comments:

Post a Comment