Thursday, April 28, 2011

Aaaa-CHOO!



I hate being sidelined by a cold.  I don’t DO sick.  I don’t have time to be Sick and I get really crabby when I get knocked out of the game by a cold. 
It’s Thursday.  I have done NOTHING this week as far as training besides sneeze, self medicate and work (on top of child rearing, etc).
Today is the first day I didn’t wake up feeling like I was run over by a semi.  I HATE being sidelined when I have so much on my plate in the immediate future.  (Hi, 5K NEXT Sunday!).  But I have to listen to my body and my body said REST.. who am I to argue?
Elise is sick too.  We share our crazy goals and apparently germs across the miles.   Having a cold and not working out while also having quick access to Easter candy is not a great combination.  (Note: my kids, who requested turkey jerky from the Easter Bunny – polished that off before they hit the chocolate…  Now I have bite size Reeses’ peanut butter cups within arms reach.. BAD BAD BAD!).
I was doing a little research… looking for some justification for me sitting out this week as my immune system was losing it’s battle of the germs and stumbled across this, from the American  College of Sports Medicine..
Rest or exercise when sick?

Most clinical authorities in the area of immunology recommend:

• If one has common cold symptoms (e.g., runny nose and sore throat without fever or general
body aches and pains), intensive exercise training may be safely resumed a few days after the
resolution of symptoms.

• Mild-to-moderate exercise (e.g., walking) when sick with the common cold does not appear to
be harmful. In two studies using nasal sprays of a rhinovirus leading to common cold symptoms,
subjects were able to engage in exercise during the course of the illness without any negative
effects on severity of symptoms or performance capability.

With a symptom complex of fever, extreme tiredness, muscle aches, and swollen lymph glands, 2-4 weeks should probably be allowed before resumption of intensive training.

• In general, if the symptoms are from the neck up, moderate exercise is probably acceptable and, some researchers would even argue, beneficial, while bedrest and a gradual progression to normal training are recommended when the illness is systemic. If in doubt as to the type of infectious illness, individuals should consult a physician.


And this is why the internet SUCKS.
I had fever.  I had body aches.  I DO NOT HAVE 2-4 weeks to start intensive training again.  I was looking for justification – NOT – for excellent adventure crushing advice.  So, I am going to pick and choose what web-based medical advice I’m taking… and that’s the Dr. Denise  version that says tomorrow, if I wake up and it’s not raining, and I don’t need to grab a tissue before I’m vertical, and if my glands are no longer the size of a golf ball… I run.  I run hard.  I run through.  I run away!  J.

No comments:

Post a Comment