Sunday, May 1, 2011

Warrior Dash Cross Training



There are a couple obstacles in the Warrior Dash that make me anxious: the tires and the cargo net. I just imagine myself falling on my face two tires into the obstacle. I must say I was very happy that the video Denise posted showed the camera man falling on the tires.




The cargo net is the other obstacle I am not sure about because I do not think I have ever climbed up a cargo net in my life. The fear of the unknown has been bothering me for a couple weeks now as I tried to figure out where I could find one so I could give it a try.



When I first signed up for the Dash Denise sent the following information from the Warrior Dash Web Site...


How do I train for Warrior Dash?



  • Day one: run as far as you can. Go home.

  • Day two: do the same thing.

  • Day three: Find the dirtiest pond in your neighborhood and snorkel in it - in your slippers, without goggles.

  • Day four: Practice your climbing and crawling skills at your local jungle gym. Ignore the small children and parental glares.

  • Day five: Do not shower or shave for weeks in order to obtain a true Warrior look. Seriously though, your best bet is to do plenty of running leading up to the race.

Yesterday, I took Paige and Derek to a new park while Ty was at a birthday party. To my surprise there in the middle of this futuristic looking park was a Cargo net.


Picture an arch with a cargo net tied to the top of it. On the bottom right the net is tied to the ground on the side close to you, on the bottom left the net is tied to the ground on the opposite side of the arch.


I was so excited I handed my phone and keys to Paige as I contemplated climbing up and over the arch that supported it. Then I looked around, there were millions of small children that could follow my lead and potentially get hurt. The Mom overrode The Warrior and I took my phone back from Paige and texted Denise that I found a cargo net and wanted to climb it, but would come back on a rainy day.


As I sat there watching the other Moms and Dads passively "playing" with their kids, I decided that I was a Warrior Mom and would not wait for a rainy day! I handed my phone back to Paige and started climbing the net. To my relief climbing up the net was not hard, but going over to the other side was another story.




I got to the top quickly, and threw my leg over the top of the arch. Here is where it gets ugly...I did not think out my attack, and wound up with my butt at the top of the arch and my head falling down the arch in a wobbly downward dog position. Then as the adrenaline kicked in, I realized that the net I wanted to go over to was not the same distance as the one I climbed up, so I would have had to swing my leg and body really far to get to the other side.



I laughed nervously as I told Paige I was stuck at the top.


Then a Mom said to me, "Are you really stuck?"


I replied, "No, I am fine." as thoughts of Firemen with ladders coming to rescue me flashed in my head.


Then the Mom said, "You are brave."


As I maneuvered my way down, I told her I had to try it since I was going to have to do it in a couple of months.


The Mom then said, "Are you going into the Military?"


I laughed really hard and said, "No I am in a race called the Warrior Dash that has obstacles."


To which the other Mom replied, "Well, that sounds fun."


As we talked a little more, I looked around and realized that there were several Moms climbing on the playground equipment now which proves the adventurous spirit really is contagious.


For the record, I did not make it to the other side, but I am going back soon and will have a better plan of attack.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you got pictures for the blog! And the scrabook - because, you know, besides Viking Helmets that's what this is all about...

    ReplyDelete